GENEVA

GENEVA, capital of Geneva canton, Switzerland. Jews apparently first settled there after their expulsion from France   by philip in 1182, receiving protection from the local bishop. The first mention of a Jew in an official document dates from the end of the 13th century. At first Jews were not authorized to settle in Geneva itself but only in the vicinity. They engaged in moneylending and moneychanging as well as in commerce on a partnership basis with Christian merchants. There were also some physicians among them. Jews having to pass through Geneva on business paid a poll tax of four denarii (pregnant women paid a double tax). In 1348, at the time of the black death , the Jews were accused of having poisoned the wells and many were put to death. From the early 15th century, the merchants and the municipal council restricted the Jewish activities, and from 1428 Jewish residence was confined to a separate quarter (near the present Rue des Granges). The relations between the Jews and the Christian merchants were strained and the Jewish quarter was frequently attacked by the populace. The most serious attack occurred at Easter 1461. The duke's representatives admonished the city authorities but the situation of the Jews continued to deteriorate. In 1488, Jewish physicians were forbidden to practice there and in 1490 the Jews were expelled from the city. Subsequently no Jews lived in Geneva for 300 years. A proposal to allow a group from Germany to settle if they undertook to pay a high tax and perform military service obligations was rejected by the municipal council in 1582. In 1780 Jewish residence was permitted in the nearby town of Carouge, which was then under the jurisdiction of the dukes of Savoy. After the French Revolution, Geneva was annexed by France and remained under French rule until 1814. During this period, the Jews enjoyed equal rights of citizenship. However, in 1815 Geneva became a canton within the Swiss confederation, and subsequently their position deteriorated. The acquisition of real estate by Jews throughout the territory of the canton was now prohibited. The Jews in Geneva were not granted civic rights until 1841, and freedom of religious worship until 1843. The Jewish community was recognized as a private corporation in 1853 and a synagogue was inaugurated in 1859. The first rabbi of Geneva was Joseph Wertheimer (1859–1908), who also lectured at the University of Geneva. At the turn of the century, Geneva University attracted many Jewish students from Russia. chaim weizmann lectured there in organic chemistry in 1900–04. As early as 1925 there existed a Sephardi fraternal group which in 1965 merged with the Communauté Israelite. (Zvi Avneri) -Modern Period As the seat of the league of nations , Geneva was also the seat of the Comité pour la Protection des Droits des Minorités Juives, headed by leo motzkin , and of the Agence Permanente de l'Organisation Sioniste auprès de la Société des Nations, represented by victor jacobson and, after his death, by nahum goldmann . The world jewish congress was founded in Geneva in 1936, and the last Zionist Congress before World War II took place there in August 1939. During World War II, the city served as an important center for information about the fate of Jews in Nazi-occupied Europe. After the war, although the headquarters of the United Nations were established in New York, Geneva preserved its international importance as seat of the European office of the United Nations and of many UN and other international agencies. Consequently, many Jewish organizations, including the jewish agency , the World Jewish Congress, the american jewish joint distribution committee , and ort , established their European headquarters there. The government of Israel maintains a permanent delegation to the European office of the United Nations, headed by an ambassador. The Jewish community of Geneva numbered 2,245 in 1945, and 3,000 in 2004; 4,356 persons declared themselves to be Jewish in 2000. After World War II a number of East European Jews settled in Geneva, and later Jews from North Africa and the Middle East also settled there. The community, which consists of separate Ashkenazi and Sephardi congregations, has two synagogues (the Sephardi Hekhal ha-Ness was built in 1972), a mikveh, and a community center (Bâtiment de la Communauté, opened in 1951) with a library. From 1948 alexandre safran , former chief rabbi of Romania, served as chief rabbi of the Geneva Jewish community. After 1980 a Jewish day school was founded. In 1970 a liberal community came into being, "Groupe Israelite Liberal" (= GIL) which in 2005 has some 1,000 members. There is also a Chabad group and Machsike ha-Dass, a version of Hungarian Orthodoxy. In Geneva there is a strict separation between religion and state following the French model of 1905. Even confessional cemeteries are forbidden, so that the Jewish community erected a new one on French soil, the mere entrance being on the territory of Geneva. The university has a small Centre des Ètudes Juives. There is a private lecturership for Jewish philosophy, first filled by A. Safran and then by his daughter, Esther Starobinsky-Safran. (Chaim Yahil / Uri Kaufmann (2nd ed.) -Hebrew Printing From the 16th to the 19th centuries, non-Jewish printers issued a considerable number of Hebrew books in Geneva, mostly Bibles or individual books of the Bible with the Greek or Latin versions, or Hebrew grammars, primers, and dictionaries using Hebrew type. Thus Robert Estienne printed a Hebrew Bible with Latin translation in 1556, and a year later a Hebrew-Chaldee-Greek lexicon. Calvin's commentaries on Daniel (1561) and Psalms (1564) were printed in Geneva with the Hebrew text. J.H. Otho's Lexicon rabbinico-philologicum… of 1675 included the Mishnah tractate Shekalim in the original with a Latin translation. The 18-volume duodecimo edition of the Hebrew Bible (1617–20) is usually ascribed to Geneva, and so is the volume of Proverbs, with interlinear Latin translation of 1616 by the same printer (אילן כאפא). The possibility that the Hebrew transcription גנווא should be read as Genoa cannot be excluded. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: E. Ginsburger, in: REJ, 75 (1922), 119–39; 76 (1923), 7–36, 146–70; A. Nordmann, Histoire des Juifs à Genève de   1281 à 1780 (1925); J. Jéhouda, L'histoire de la colonie juive de Genève, 1843–1943 (1944); A. Weldler-Steinberg, Geschichte der Juden in der Schweiz (1966), index, S.V. Genf; K.J. Luethi, Hebraeisch in der Schweiz (1926), 35ff; L. Mysysowicz, "Université et révolution. Les étudiants d'Europa Orientale à Genève en temps de Plékhanov et Lénine," in: Schweizer Zeitschrift fuer Geschichte (1975), 514–62; idem, "Les étudiants 'orientaux' en médecine à Genève," in: Gesnerus, 34 (1977), 207–12; D. Neumann, Studentinnen aus dem Russischen Reich in der Schweiz (1867–1914) (1987); L. Leitenberg, La population juive de Carouge 1870–1843 (1992); idem, "Evolution et perspectives des communautés en Suisse romande," in: Schweiz. Isr. Gemeindebund (ed.), Jüd. Lebenswelt Schweiz (2004); 100 Jahre Schweiz. Isr. Gemeindebund, 153–66, 464–66.

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Synonyms:

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Geneva — Geneva, NE U.S. city in Nebraska Population (2000): 2226 Housing Units (2000): 1050 Land area (2000): 1.497474 sq. miles (3.878440 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.497474 sq. miles (3.878440 sq …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva — bezeichnet in englischer Sprache und neulateinischer Sprache die Stadt Genf die Kantonsallegorie Geneva die Schriftart Geneva (Schriftart) die International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, die auch als Geneva Association bekannt …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Geneva — Ge*ne va, prop. n. The chief city of Switzerland. [1913 Webster] {Geneva Bible}, a translation of the Bible into English, made and published by English refugees in Geneva (Geneva, 1560; London, 1576). It was the first English Bible printed in… …   The Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • GENEVA — urbs Allobrogum extrema, mirae antiquitatis: Cuius, ut et pontis super Rhodanum siti, ac a se rescissi, meminit Caesar, l. 1. de Bell. Gallic. c. 2. ampla, populosa et probe munita, ad ostia Lemani lacus, ubi Rhodanus exit, proxima Helvetiorum… …   Hofmann J. Lexicon universale

  • Geneva, AL — U.S. city in Alabama Population (2000): 4388 Housing Units (2000): 2097 Land area (2000): 14.871934 sq. miles (38.518131 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.176438 sq. miles (0.456972 sq. km) Total area (2000): 15.048372 sq. miles (38.975103 sq. km)… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva, FL — U.S. Census Designated Place in Florida Population (2000): 2601 Housing Units (2000): 970 Land area (2000): 11.390025 sq. miles (29.500028 sq. km) Water area (2000): 1.036500 sq. miles (2.684522 sq. km) Total area (2000): 12.426525 sq. miles… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva, GA — U.S. town in Georgia Population (2000): 114 Housing Units (2000): 59 Land area (2000): 0.786850 sq. miles (2.037933 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000075 sq. miles (0.000195 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.786925 sq. miles (2.038128 sq. km) FIPS code …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva, IA — U.S. city in Iowa Population (2000): 171 Housing Units (2000): 77 Land area (2000): 0.427125 sq. miles (1.106248 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.427125 sq. miles (1.106248 sq. km) FIPS code:… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva, IL — U.S. city in Illinois Population (2000): 19515 Housing Units (2000): 6895 Land area (2000): 8.406503 sq. miles (21.772743 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.175534 sq. miles (0.454631 sq. km) Total area (2000): 8.582037 sq. miles (22.227374 sq. km)… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Geneva, IN — U.S. town in Indiana Population (2000): 1368 Housing Units (2000): 621 Land area (2000): 1.147591 sq. miles (2.972246 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.125544 sq. miles (0.325157 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.273135 sq. miles (3.297403 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.